Six Qualities of Strong
Stinnett, after studying many families, isolated the following qualities as
characteristics of stable, loving families.
- In strong families, members express a great deal of appreciation for
each other. They look for the best qualities in each other.
- Strong families spend time together. This is not a forced kind of
thing; they genuinely enjoy being together.
- These families are deeply committed to promoting one another's
happiness and welfare. They actively try to make life more enjoyable for
- Strong families have good communication. They talk to each other,
listen to each other, and fight constructively (by getting their
disagreements out in the open).
- Most strong families are religious. This is more than "going to
church." It involves a commitment to a spiritual lifestyle.
- Strong families are able to deal with crises in a positive manner.
They are united by a crisis instead of being fragmented by it. Through
it all, they remain supportive of one another.
Back to Bulletin Fodder